"You'll get mixed up, of course, as you already
know.You'll get mixed up with many strange birds
as you go. So be sure when you step. Step with
care and great tact and remember that life's a
great balancing act. Just never forget to be
dexterous and deft. And never mix up your right
foot with your left. And will you succeed? Yes!
You will, indeed! 98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.
Kid, you'll move mountains." - Dr. Suess

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Thoughts of a college girl...

 I think I want to start blogging. We will see if it sticks. I just hope to write things that make peoples' days better. Or maybe this will just be a good way for my mom to keep up with me. We will see… hey mom!

I’ve decided, since I will be graduating in a few weeks (whoa!), that I’m going to highlight the top things I learned in my undergraduate career. Don’t worry, I can’t remember most of the academics, but there are some big things I wish I could have grasped before I posted up my inspirational posters in my freshmen dorm room and moved in.


These are the things I wish I would have known:

1.  I am not a big deal… to most.
 That seems kind of sad, but really! A lot of freshmen kiddos, myself included, come into their college career ready to rock their campus, which is great, but then you soon find that 5,000 other freshmen are on the exact same playing field as you. But wait college campus, don’t you know I have funny jokes! I have good ideas! I am spontaneous! I can be deep! I can be shallow! I can laugh! I can cry! I make good facebook albums! I like to bake! I’m real cool! I'll play on your intramural team! You are so welcome I chose your institution to come to! Well, it’s not really like that. I quickly learned that we are all really big deals in our own ways and in our own worlds. My dad once told me that if I have a hand full of true best friends in my life then I am really blessed. I think I agree with that. 
Lesson: Be thankful for the relationships where you are both big deals to each other.


2. Unless you are a college athlete, nobody is making you run… nobody.  
In the highschool days, Jackelyn and I would go to Waffle house and eat the All Star before 6:30 am conditioning. I would eat cinnamon rolls for break. A burger and fries for lunch. A couple of slices of Holy Cow cake for dessert. Sonic on my way home. My moms dinner and a bowl of cereal before bed. We would also go get a molten lava cake from Chili’s on the regular. I also used to run before school, during school, and after school every day..
Lesson: You just can’t eat the same when you aren’t working out the same. Pick apples over muffins. 




3. Forget school... sometimes.
Grades are really important, people are more important. Do well in school, work hard, pay attention, turn stuff in, apply yourself, but never put school in front of people. Never??? Ehhh.. usually don’t put school in front of people. My favorite conversations in college usually came between the hours of 3 and 7 am. There were so many all nighters with friends where we could have gone to sleep or we could have read the chapter one more time, but instead we talked about meaningful stuff. Also, go on roadtrips even if you have a test the next week. When 3 of my best friends and I randomly packed up my car at 10pm and headed to Charleston, we all had stuff due that Monday. We all survived and it was easily one of the best weekends of my college life.
Lesson:  Relationships and Charleston are more important than being a straight A student.  B's get degrees.




4. Don’t plan... it always changes. 
We all seem to always be working towards something. Which is so so great. Have a goal and work hard for it, but don’t try too hard to work out the details. They never ever ever play out the way you think they will. Just go with it. I asked my grandmother a long time ago what the main thing she has learned in life is and she said “it always works out for the best”. Nana is so wise, and so right! If you are reading this paragraph then you are still alive… meaning all the little stuff that stresses you out hasn’t defeated you yet. Stress is everywhere, it’s up to you how you handle it. Don’t let it run you though because it will make you break out and lose sleep and become grumpy and people will start to avoid you. 
Lesson: Everything always works out… God is smarter than we are. 

5. Communicate… in person. 
Facebook is killing us all! If you can leave a heartfelt wall post but not carry on a heartfelt conversation then you are doomed. If you can post awesome statuses and get tons of comments on it but are always on your smart phone looking at your comments when you are with people, then they will eventually stop posting. You might have all the boys "liking" your Spring Break album but make sure people are liking you in personal settings too. If you can tag pictures with the best of them and title your albums something clever every time, that’s great, but just remember a game of tag is better than tagging. Oh and talking is better than texting. Wow, I just sounded like such a drag.. I like facebook! 
Lesson: Keep it personal. 

6. Give … until you can’t give anymore.  
We all need each other! Put others first. If they are cool they will be there for you when you need them too. What good are your time, money, thoughts, energy, laughs, fears, stories, and heart if you don’t use them to benefit others?! 
Lesson: Leave zero doubt with the ones you love that you love them. 


7. Oh yeah..  eye contact is huge. Remember peoples' name after you meet them. Sit in the front of the classroom. If you're late to class, don't stroll in with your coffee. Printers fail when you need them most. Always have an umbrella in your backpack. Smile.

Was this too long? Possibly. I will work on that.

I've been in college for 4 years?!
          - What the L 

2 comments:

  1. My favorite part of this whole thing is #2! haha I wish someone was making me run now. I was just wondering the other day how many calories we probably burned a day in high school!! Love you... Love your blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laine. I just love you! Your blog just made me smile ... a lot.
    -Abs

    ReplyDelete